We are Op COURAGE
Op COURAGE is an NHS mental health service, created to be there for those who have served in the UK armed forces. Whether you’re currently serving and due to leave the military, a reservist or a veteran, this service is to give you the information and guidance you need to navigate civilian life.
Why we’re different
Most people may not understand what life is like in the armed forces or as part of an armed forces community. That’s why we make sure that our team members are the right fit.
We’re a team of highly experienced and qualified health and care professionals including nurses, psychologists, therapists and support workers.
Our service has been developed with veterans for veterans: everyone at Op COURAGE is either from the armed forces community or is experienced in working with serving personnel, reservists, veterans and their families.
This means there will be a level of understanding each step of the way, without you having to explain.
We appreciate it takes courage to speak to someone. We want to make it as easy as possible for you so that you get the right type of specialist care, support and treatment - without the fuss.
How we can help
We help those who have served in a number of different ways including:
- Helping you recognise the signs of when you, or someone you know, are experiencing mental health difficulties.
- Working with Defence Medical Services (DMS) to help you get mental health care as you transition to civilian life.
- Helping you gain access to other NHS mental health services if you need them, such as NHS Talking Therapies for anxiety or depression where you live.
- Being a liaison with charities and local organisations to support your wider wellbeing.
- Access to individual or group psychological therapies designed for the military community.
- Enabling you to get support and be inspired by others who have served in the forces and are going through their own recovery.
- Giving armed forces families the right information, tools and access to local support, and for their own health and wellbeing too.
Who we can help
To access Op COURAGE, you must:
- Be a resident in England and have served in the UK armed forces for a full day.
- Be registered with a GP practice in England or be willing and eligible to register with a GP.
- Provide your military service number.
It doesn’t matter how long ago you left the armed forces. You can contact Op COURAGE even if you left many years ago.
You can also contact Op COURAGE if you are still serving but have a discharge date within the next six months.
Find out more
- Visit our Get Help page to refer yourself for support or contact the service
- It is important to contact the Op COURAGE for your local area. Visit the NHS website to find out details of Op COURAGE mental health services outside the South East Mental health support for veterans, service leavers and reservists - NHS (www.nhs.uk) (opens in new browser tab)